Making The Most Of A Plant- Based Diet
After years of contemplating becoming a vegan for real for real, I gained a lot of insight and now want to share with you some of the key take aways on making the most of a plant-based diet. A plant-based diet is based on foods derived from plants, including vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts, seeds and fruits, no animal products. There are many different types of plant based diets including different classifications of vegetarians, vegans and other variations, such as pescatarians. A well-planned vegan diet can support healthy living in all ages, but there are some particular nutrients which need a little more consideration. These principles are a really good place to start:
- Eat a variety of fruit and vegetables.
- Eat plenty of whole grain/fiber options.
- Ensure you eat a good source of protein in every meal, do not forgetting breakfast!
- Eat foods rich in sources of Omega 3 fats, walnuts, chia seeds, and ground flaxseed. Consider taking EPA and DHA micro-algae supplements during critical periods of development and growth.
- Eat foods rich in calcium.
- Consider supplementing Vitamin D, but be aware that some supplements contain animal derived sources such as D3 from Lanolin. D3 from Lichen and D2 are both vegan friendly sources.
- Ensure reliable sources of Vitamin B12, selenium and iodine.
You can find some great resources at www.vegan.com 🌱